Prescott and Linzee swords
Image 1 of 1
To order an image, navigate to the full
display and click "request this image"
on the blue toolbar.
Choose an alternate description of this item written for these projects:
- Object of the Month
- MHS 225th Anniversary
Two swords mounted together on a rectangular black walnut plaque commissioned by the Massachusetts Historical Society in 1859. The swords of Col. William Prescott and Capt. John Linzee are crossed through a carved wreath of olive-leaves, and over the leaves are two shields leaning against each other and bearing the Prescott and Linzee family crests. The inscription on Prescott sword reads: "The Sword of Col. William Prescott, and worn by him at the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775." The inscription on the Linzee sword reads: "Sword of Capt. John Linzee R. N. who Commanded the British Sloop of War Falcon while acting against the Americans at the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775."